Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Angiogenesis: Is this another way we can use nutrition to fight cancer?

Earlier this week, registered dietitian Susan B. Dopart mentioned the work of cancer researcher Dr. William Li.  A while back he had been on Dr. Oz discussing angiogenesis, defined by him as being the way our body grows blood vessels. According to Dopart's article, Li says that microscopic cancers are growing in our bodies all the time and if blood vessels are not allowed to grow to feed these cells, cancer will not develop. He advocates using anti-angiogenesis therapy, the use of dietary forms of antiangiogenic substances to starve cancer cells and prevent their growth.

For me, this is exciting stuff. I am already including many of these foods and ingredients as part of my transition to a plant-based diet. This just gives additional weight to the science I have already been reading about the benefits of using nutrition as another weapon in my war on cancer.

Below is a table listing most of the dietary sources of antiangiogenic substances recommended by Dr. Li. Interestingly, Dopart adds Gouda, Jarlsberg and Edam cheeses in this group; it's nice to see some love for cheese from a nutritionist! I can't do the lavender (thank you, Brenda, for educating me on the estrogenic properties of my beloved sleepy-time essential oil), rarely eat soy and only occasionally allow myself the red wine, but most everything else is in my kitchen in some form or another. (Hold on a second...I'm just adding sea cucumber to my grocery list.Got to tell you...not a big fan.)  Dang, no joke -  by the end of today I will already have eaten more than a dozen of these.


If you are interested in more information on Dr. Li's work, here is a link to his TED Talk from 2010. When I get a quiet moment later today (shhhhh Bunny, Mommy is blogging, yes you can have a blueberry muffin) I'm going to curl up with my green tea and, yes, a blueberry muffin and watch it.

Hope you are all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment