With the help of the Environmental Working Group's database, Skin Deep, and reviews on Amazon and Canadian online health and beauty store well.ca, I have sourced new products for both myself and my family.
Here's what I have started with:
- Green Beaver Jr. Boreal Berries Bubble Bath for the boys. Smells great, lots of bubbles and none of the crap found in the bubble bath I used to buy for them. All organic, biodegradable, gluten-free...ok, the last part makes me smile cause I only ever thought gluten was an issue in edible products. Clearly I was wrong! Did I mention Green Beaver is a Canadian company?
- Also from Green Beaver, Purifying Grapefruit and Soothing Aloe Facial Cleanser. Works a treat, didn't strip my skin and has a light, happy, citrusy scent that comes from the ingredients and not added fragrance.
- For hand and bath soap, for us and the kids, I went with Rocky Mountain Soap Company soaps. They are great - lots of lather, skin softening and great scents. Plus, all of them are rated zero risk at Skin Deep. I bought ours at their Victoria, BC store but they are also available, along with the rest of their great products, via their website.
- Jamieson ProVitamina E Moisture-Rich Nourishing Cream for an all-around moisturizer, day or night, that packs a ton of moisture. To make it a day cream, I'm mixing it with my regular sunscreen in my palm. Skin Deep rates this a moderate risk, due mostly to allergy and immunotoxicity concerns, but it is a low-risk for cancer and that's my main concern. I will alternate this cream with straight olive oil for my night-time moisturizing needs.
- For an all over lotion, I got Ella's Botanicals My Darling Clementine Hand & Body Lotion. Doesn't show up on Skin Deep, but I can see from its ingredient list that this one's a keeper. Just a few ingredients, mostly sunflower oil, and tangerine and sweet orange essential oils to give it a light, appealing scent. Not greasy, rubs in quickly and, 24 hours later, my skin is still soft.
- For conditioner, I picked Live Clean Argan Oil Restorative Conditioner that goes with the Live Clean Argan Oil Restorative Shampoo I have already been using. No ratings on Skin Deep, but argan oil shows up as zero risk. So far, so good. My hair feels clean and soft (but I'm still growing out this goofy post-chemo hair and I think what I really need now is a haircut!) and the products are not strongly-scented.
If you are starting this process as well, take heart! There are lots of places to look for advice on picking new products. In addition to the sites I used here, I also belong to Crazy, Sexy and Safe Products at the Crazy Sexy Life website and my friends there have lots of great recommendations.
If you have any natural products that you love, let me know and I'll share them here!